Thursday, November 25, 2010

Song of the Day 3

Deerhunter - Earthquake


So I listened to Halcyon Digest and thought it was "pretty OK" but "no Microcastle/Weird Era cont."

And because I came up with that opinion so quickly, I disregarded it way sooner than I should have. Luckily they were playing this song on the local college radio station. I was like, hey, yeah, I remember this. This song is genius! I'm really grateful that they played it, 'cause otherwise I have no idea how long it would be before I'd think to give this album another chance.

But yeah! Cool song! I love the way the percussion contrasts with the guitar melody contrasts with the bass contrasts with the vocals contrasts with the little sound effects. And cool lyrics too:

Do you recall waking up on a dirty couch in the gray fog
And the gray dog barking down the street?


How atmospheric! I like when they go from mundane sort of melancholy nostalgia to something sort of weird and profound. Anticon artists do that a bunch.

No comments: