Monday, October 7, 2013

Live Review - Kase-san 8 - Bento and Kaze-san

Finally something not shonen!
But it is something that's still pretty much an indulgence... Kase-san is one of my favorite currently running yuri series. The art is incredibly moe, their relationship moves at a great pace, it's wonderful. The previous chapter was a flashback to before they knew each other, which was great, but I want to see their relationship develop more too. So let's check it out!


Kase-san 8: Bento and Kase-san
Scans by Yuri Project


Cover
"I'm now going out with a girl."... seems like we're back in present day. And the cover has what I'm thinking the whole plot is right here... the old standby of "I want to make you a lunch." How nice!


1

The new term begins! Yamada looks so nice. I love how big this artist makes smiles. I love the flowery imagery but that's like just expected of a good yuri series.


2
I love the composition of this page, the big shot of them in the bottom. So she's in class B... but what about Kase-san??

3
Aha, I knew it! I love Yamada's expression at the bottom panel.

4
Another nice use of transition scenes to make a really beautifully composed page. Do teachers really call out their "prize" students like that? lol.

5
Haha she looks so embarrassed. Everyone is so happy!!

6
The two bottom panels work so well... really highlights one of my favorite aspects of their relationship.

7
Ahhh so embarrassed lol. I like the little sprout on Yamada's head in the bottom panel lol. She's so happy!

8
So many great aspects of their relationship here... deep down Kase loves the praise if it's from Yamada... Yamada's determination and passion that goes unrecognized except by Kase... how beautiful. The flowers do look really nice.

9
Oh wow how romantic, they both worked nonstop through the summer! The sprout again haha. She takes out her little weeding spade when she salutes lol.

10
Awww this is just too sweet. Hand holding oh man here we go.

11
Hai! I think this is the first time they've like, explicitly stated that... how nice!

12
Yamada's casual clothes look so cute. I bet her ringtone sounds cute too. What's Kase calling about? I bet the fact that she sometimes has to skip class for track is gonna be relevant soon... Yamada getting lonely or something.

13
Haha I called it... sorta. This is a great page, lots of great expressions and I love the composition of the three panels on the side.

14
Ahaha, cute. Too cute. Just casually chatting on the phone. How fun!

15
Ooh, a rare look into Kase-san's room! Full of weights and I think a punching bag lol. So fit. Yamada never talked to boys or dated before... this freaks Kase-san out! Well, she dated other girls before, right?

16
Aw, Yamada's learning about different types of bouquets. How nice. Kase-san seems really surprised by this development... or is one where she's also inexperienced?

17
Kase-san nervous and noncommittal... but Yamada doesn't care anymore. "It's like a dream...!", aw, how nice. Another really nicely composed page. I like the macro shot of the cell phone.

18
Ah, memory playback... I love her eyes in that panel, the only eyes that are better are the Hidamari-style vertical lines. Ahhh she's so happy. I guess Kase is worried about Yamada feeling like the relationship is being rushed.

19
Yup, that's always the solution: make a bento! Now, is it going to be super delicious, or comically disgusting?? Hard to know... 

20
Aha and yup called away by the track club. Who is gonna eat the bento now?? Yamada looks so shocked in that first panel lol.

21
"adiaos" oh okay lol. or "adios". goodbye. lol. Then BOOM, one of Kase-san's friends who can't read the mood at all. I'm thinking it'll be awhile before she gets that bento...

22
I really like Yamada's expression in that panel... poor girl... 

23
UH OH, in the cafeteria with the track club! I like how her friend knows that, that's how popular kase is lol. Poor Yamada! You can do it!!

24
Pffffffffffft no waaay well I guess this was the friend who knew that kase-san was a lesbian... damn though I didn't think they'd have this development so soon. I always like scenes like this, though... lol Yamada is gonna be so flustered. damn that double orange looks tasty.

25
Ahhhh oh my god Yamada in that last panel is the best thing ever. she's just getting put through the emotional wringer this chapter...

26
UH OH. I thought Yamada kinda knew about this, like, she knew Kase was a lesbian and stuff... she seems pretty distraught. looking a little jealous... a little scared. i bet it was just rumors though. i dunno.

27
I love the composition of this page. The design for the top panel is hilarious. So expressive! This artist is so fantastic.

28
Ahh, so angsty. I feel like there's been a lot of the angsty scenes near the taps like this... so sad... so beautiful. But what will happen??

29
Aha, of course, I knew it... and now they'll clear the air. I just hope Yamada is honest and upfront about her worries.

30
"She ate what I made for her"... aww, how nice. I like half-page shot of the school. And awww Yamada blushing...

31
Oh cool, Kase has secret access to the roof. How romantic! but I think Yamada is worrying about what other girls have been brought up here... she's "depressed..."

32
Hmm yeah I guess this is true, Yamada doesn't know her history or anything, there's maybe a disconnect... I like the effect on the last dialogue. Very cute.

33
Ahh oh my god of course... whenever she was on the roof she could see Yamada's gardens! How wonderful!!

34
Aw wow... I love the way Kase describes her hat and umbrella, really shows how much she cares.

35
haha I guess it was a bit stalkery lol...i never really considered that angle though and i'm sure yamada didn't either. but oh man... what a powerful confession!

36
Woah holy cow lol Kase settle down

37
Haha oh wow. Dang.

This series is SO GOOD

Everyone needs to harass Seven Seas Publishing and get them to localize it. I can't wait to see what happens next. I feel like it probably won't go past two volumes but I dunno, they have a really good system where their relationship keeps getting stronger but they aren't quite on the same page, and there's always more for them to work through together. Ah so great top tier yuri top tier art top tier characters.

*

No comments: