Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Song of the Day #92 - Fugees - Ready or Not

If I ruled the world...


I was listening to this awesome mixtape and at one point they sampled this song for like half a second, and I really wanted to hear more of it, but now I can't figure out what song it was on, and I'm not sure I didn't just dream it or something. Um, oh well. So now I'm listening to the original. Did you know Barack Obama said this was his favorite song of all time? The article makes some good points chopping up much of the rest of the list, but I think this inclusion was legit. Like, it isn't really "politically correct", I'm not sure who he could be trying to appeal to by lying about this.

Also it's just a really good song, lol. I remember one summer (I think I was 13 or 14) where I basically listened only to this, Fu-Gee-La, and Nappy Heads. And I'm feeling like today might be a day like that too. Lauryn Hill goes way in, and sounds serious and powerful even though she drops two poop jokes. The best part though is the beat... something about those clean drums against the humming, what a powerful atmosphere...

No comments: