Saturday, November 29, 2014

Song of the Day #99 - Radiohead - Go to Sleep

Almost 100 song of the days and zero Radiohead!


Wow! Despite my recent (i.e., 3 years) crush on Matyroshka, I'm pretty sure Radiohead are still my FBOATAIIEC (favorite band of all time and it isn't even close). I think I shy away from writing about them because whenever I do the length quickly gets out of hand, and even that feels insufficient. Unlike some of the other bands I'm really into, Radiohead already has a small army of critics who have dissected each note for the seraphic shining tone it is, so I feel like... to say something new, or something definitive, I have to put in a lot of work. I think sometimes this feeling even stops me from listening to it. But that's ridiculous, actually.

Anyways, so this song... Hail to the Thief was the first Radiohead album I was like super-into, and it coincided with my first real interest in electronic music, so for awhile these rock-y type tracks held very little appeal to me. These was some of my first steps outside of the classic rock tradition, and "Go to Sleep" just seemed like a step backwards. And oh man I remember the day I realized it wasn't, the day I realized that... I mean, above all else, this is a banger, like, this is an awesome, emotionally intense song, with the sort of feelings that transcend genres. And then it steps back into the roots of its genre, with awesome riffs on every instrument and that awesome rock song structure where it feels like all of it is coming from one single impulse. Wowow!

Okay what about tomorrow? "Something big is gonna happen?" "Over my dead body?" Idk I think I'm gonna do a retrospective statistical analysis sorta thing.

No comments: