Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Song of the Day #101 - Earl Sweatshirt - 45

Mysterious Earlsthetics


This came out about a month ago and I've been listening to it pretty steady. It isn't the sort of song you get completely addicted to, but it's something that nags at you, that you feel like you have to figure out. Well, I haven't gotten any closer. There's a lot of cleverness here, much has been said of the up 50/down 5 thing, and the beat sounds like the Alchemist has gotten drunk on something that didn't exist before. The number one complaint I've heard about Doris (which I'm still in love with, generally) is that his flow is pretty monotonous, and he himself said that was partially just out of nervousness. Here he gets a bit more expressive, but like... it's a little weird, it's a little like he's all worked up about nothing, or something happening off the track.

Overall though I think there's this really awesome aesthetic around Earl that I associate somehow with medieval knights, and it isn't just because of the art on this Youtube video, and the (Godly) concluding track to Doris (although that prolly helps)... It's something about knights being both skilled, and dedicated, and yet... somehow kinda stupid? Or maybe stupid is the wrong word. Like, illogical. Motivated by things we can't quite understand. And unsophisticated, in some way. Something about knights and what I can only describe as the "dumb" horns on this beat, it fits really well. I dunno. Hard to explain. Hopefully an album is coming, with more examples, so I can figure out what the hell is going on.

No comments: