Thursday, July 16, 2015

Song of the Day #160 - matryoshka - Etude For Twelve Fingers

Uhh this album just came out so I don't think it's on youtube yet

Sorry just go track down the whole thing and listen to it, it's fantastic. It's on a new virgin babylon compilation called ONE MINUTE OLDER. For their 5th anniversary, they got fifty associated artists to contribute a song ~1 minute in length. It's a deranged, wholly unique, rollercoaster of an album, something I'm seriously considering for "top 10" even in this stacked af year. Every artist manages to get across their special appeal, which adds up to a smorgasbord... lmao I just looked up that word to make sure I was spelling it correctly and the google dictionary example is "the album is a smorgasbord of different musical styles" ayy fug.

Really, isolating this one section as "Song of the Day" does disservice to the insane variety and transitions that make this album so memorable. Heading into it from arai tasuku's COMPLETELY INSANE "For the griefs of 'Elsa who was embedded in ice', my dear" (it's like Crystal Castles meets world's end girlfriend while watching Disney movies on a bunch of peyote) seems fairly essential. At the same time, this is new matryoshka. My favoritestest band. It's only a minute long, but we got it: the static, the fuzz, the piano, the wind, the Calu (most important part)... that essential sense of tension, emotion - longing and warmth - a final breakdown of understanding, a "good end" to sensation and interpretation, seeing so much more beyond, but content in a final rest...

Uhh, I'm losing track of what I was saying. Point is that matryoshka is amazing and I hope they make more music soon and even if there was just a five second recording of Calu coughing that'd probably be song of the day. And that there's 49 other artists on this album and I only have other music from uhhh...

Have:
Go-qualia
world's end girlfriend
Joseph Nothing
Serph
Sane Masayuki
BOOL
matryoshka
Ryoma Maeda
about tess
Vampillia
N-qia
Anoice
backwatertobackwater
Kashiwa Daisuke


Don't have:
ceil
でんの子P
filfla
COM.A
canooooopy
suppa micro pamchopp
DE DE MOUSE
Ms. Bigelow
Rhytone
Fragment
Sagara
あらかじめ決められた恋人たちへ
arai tasuku
ハチスノイト
mus.hiba
メトロノリ
Aoi Yutaka
pin_oknw
Miii
bronbaba
OVUM
marmalade butcher
Supersize me
Piana
Masahiro Kawano
mergrim
Ayl_E
Kazuki Koga
hanali
smany
Jimanica
食品まつりa.k.a foodman
Yaporigami
Y.D.
world's end boyfriend
クロサキヒロミ

wow uhh 14/50. Well, I have some random remixes and guest features by a lot of the other 36, but no full projects.

And man right now I want nothing more than to research every one of those other 36 bands, looking on what and jpopsuki and on soundclouds and bandcamps and begging my friend to look through doujin music indexes and etc etc but oh man I am in school I have school work this sucks will I ever have the time to just sit there and listen to music all day??? Because man when I think about how much I like some of the artists I have heard before, and how much I like these one-minute samples of some of the others, and to think they might have WHOLE ALBUMS out there, it just feels like maaaaaaan why am I doing anything else? oh yeah money gdi.

No comments: