Friday, October 16, 2015

Song of the Day #217 - Manu Chao - Me Gustas Tú

¿Qué voy a hacer? Je ne sais pas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs6Y4kZ8qtw

Today I was watching this combo video of Kort, the Brazilian Smash 64 Link main. It's a pretty nice little video. I didn't know the music but it felt almost silly how appropriate it was, in a way that I can't quite explain... it's the sort of music you might expect someone like this to listen to, but beyond that, I found that I actually was hoping he'd listen to something like this. That might not be a rational hope, but having it fulfilled is still an extremely pleasant experience.

And this song is just an extremely pleasant and lovely experience itself. I never took Spanish but I was able to understand maybe half the lyrics right away, which felt rewarding in a superficial and passing but still warm way. I love how conversational it is, how the inter-cutting "radio" elements give it a very casual, free-flowing energy. Oh, and how it starts in with the same rhythms and stuff right after the previous track, like an expanded sort of sequel... you're like "wow that was so catchy" and then "wow, even MORE?".

Generally just a pretty sweet song. Is this reggae? I guess so. I know nothing about reggae lol. This guy seems like he's extremely popular and critically respected but I had never heard of him before today. I really know very little about music outside of a few genres from a few countries over a few decades. I really know very little about music, period. This is an obvious thing when you think about it but you can go for long periods of time without really confronting it. What an exciting thing to realize!

No comments: